Friday, April 10, 2009

On to the next challenge...

I remember, vaguely, when I found Paris difficult. Those were the days where I wrote about the absurdities of my life, when each day was an exciting challenge to overcome. But those days don't exist anymore.

Yes, sometimes the French can be impossible... like last night, when the first cab driver refused to take me and we fought in heated French about why I wouldn't be his fare. Yes, sometimes the city deals debilitating surprises... like when I walked into the metro and discovered it'd been closed without warning. Yes, the language barrier still exists... like when I asked questions at a local restaurant and the server laughed at me. And yes, things still are inefficient and/or unreliable... like the failing internet, self-credit-eating phones, and ridiculous banking rules.

But it's easy now. I already encountered the deepest challenges and found somewhat appropriate solutions; the struggles I have yet to discover or am in the process of dealing with suddenly don't seem so intimidating. I know which metro lines lead where and what streets I need to walk anywhere. I'm so confident, in fact, I gave my map away. I even give tours and make damn good recommendations for visitors. Somehow, on some level, I've adjusted... which means it's time to go.

"So you're leaving?" asked a friend when I told her of my epiphany. "But you LOVED Paris!"

"I still do," and it's true. Sometimes I walk these streets and am awed by the age, architecture, magic, je ne sais quoi of this city. "I just have nothing left to do here."

In the fall I had school, a good job, attentive family, good friends, and the ongoing project of learning Paris. The school turned out to be a poor fit, so I quit. I'd been with the company for four years, so it was time to move on. My family realized I had adjusted and no longer needed their pampering, so they returned to their busy lives. My friends will be scattered all around the world by August. And I read enough books and lost myself enough times to learn the city sufficiently.

Plus, after India, living in Europe is full of luxury... and expenses.

So, my friends and family, I'm returning to Boston--for a brief time--before moving on. See you April 22.

No comments: